If you look around you on the streets today you will notice a rising number of young ladies taking to two wheels. Long gone are the days of cycling being the pursuit of stuffy squares and eccentrics. Women are cycling and looking good doing it… so come on, join the Cycle Chic revolution.
This is a guest post by Caz Nicklin who started the London Cycle Chic Blog in response to the rise in fashion-conscious women (including herself!) getting on their bikes in London. Here are her 10 commandments for cycling chic.
1. Thou shalt not wear tasteless Lycra outfits. Cycling is a stylish mode of transport not a geeky sport. Dress accordingly.
2. Thou shalt ride a bike that reflects your style. Do not attempt to resurrect the mountain bike you had when you were 12 years old. Go to Cyclechic’s guide to buying a bike for more advice.
3. Thou shalt not wear an unflattering helmet. A helmet should protect your head not crush your self esteem. Check out the Bern Muse in the Cyclechic shop for a helmet that combines style and safety.
4. Thou shalt cycle at a leisurely pace. No need to race, think healthy glow not beetroot face.
5. Thou shalt not sport a frumpy rucksack. Avoid sweaty backs, use Panniers, baskets and messenger style bags.
6.Thou shalt cycle in skirts from mini to swishy.
7. Legwarmers are the new bicycle clips.
8. Thou shalt cycle with confidence and poise. You have every right to be on the road, never feel shunned to the gutter. Go to Cyclechic’s guide to Cycle Safety for more advice.
9. Thou shalt wear a cape. Capes will give you classic grace and style as well as comfort and ventilation on your bicycle.
10. Thou shalt cycle flirt. Quick winks, nods and smiles to fellow stylish cyclists are perfectly acceptable and should be actively encouraged.